WHAT IS MINDFULNESS MEDITATION?
Being mindful means truly being in the present, paying attention on purpose to what we are thinking, feeling and experiencing in our body and environment, without judgement. We accept that what is going on right now “just is”, without getting caught up in self-criticism, rehashing the past or fearing the future. Mindfulness teaches us that our thoughts and feelings are fleeting, they do not define us, and we can learn to let go of our unhelpful preoccupations. Mindful awareness makes room for insight, reflection and clarity that helps us see more choices and the possibilities for change.
Does Mindfulness Work?
Mindfulness has been thoroughly researched and found to be fast and effective in many areas:
- Increases Positive Emotions and Resilience
- Enhances Empathy and Compassion for others, as well as Self-Compassion
- Improves Body Image, Decreases Emotional Eating and Encourages Healthy Weight
- Reduces Stress, Anxiety, anger and Depression
- Enhances Relationships, Improves Family Functioning and allows for Better Conflict Resolution
- Has Positive effects on Memory, Attention and Decision making
- Helps to Improve Sleep Quality and Boosts the Immune system
How Can I be More Calm?
How do I Meditate?
For most of us, the thought of sitting in meditation for thirty minutes or more is enough to spike our stress levels. Who has time for that? While that could be a wonderful luxury that your brain and body will thank you for, YOU DON’T NEED TO BE A YOGI OR A MONK TO BENEFIT FROM MINDFULNESS.
If you are like most people, you think that meditation requires you to stop your thoughts, or get rid of your emotions, and your immediate reaction is “I can’t control my thoughts!” Good news, you don’t have to…. It is much more about just stepping back and observing your thoughts and feelings as they come and go, and gently nudging yourself back to a relaxed focus.
Contact Me to Learn more about living mindfully.